Wednesday 7 November 2012

Green berry frappe


Many moons ago during the hot Summer months whilst working in my local cafe I invented this frappe. We had your regular frozen fruit frappe on the menu, made with frozen organic seasonal fruit and blended with fresh apple or orange juice but one day I just got a little sick of the sweet fruity flavours and wanted something more healthy and less sweet. It was a hot few weeks and all I wanted
was to drink cold fluids and not eat food. You know when it gets so hot you don't want to eat? I knew my body couldn't live on sugar alone nor did I want to.  So I started to play around a little, as I do.
My favourite green juice that I have been drinking for the past 5-6 years popped into my head and I decided to add a little frozen berries to this. Suddenly I found my 'food' for the Summer months, it was so good!
(My favourite green juice combo - 5-6  leaves tuscan kale, 1 whole lemon, 1 whole lime, 1/2 bunch parsley  1/2 bunch mint, 2 celery sticks, 1 lebanese cucumber - no skin and either 1 small apple or a hint of pineapple (when in season) and whenever possible a knob of ginger and turmeric - approximately 500ml of juice!)

It tastes so good and with all the greens it really felt like I was feeding my body. A girl can never get enough greens and this was such a refreshing way to get them.
Just recently I rediscovered this love of green berry frappe style and thought this one has to be shared now as we approach the Summer months. Simple breakfast smoothie or liquid lunch in the hot Summer months!

It also goes really nicely with frozen mango instead of the berries.

Frappe
Makes 2 large glasses full (and a top up!)


5-6 Tuscan kale, roughly chopped
1/2 bunch parsley (and mint), roughly chopped
1/2 cup frozen berries (blueberries, strawberries, mulberries and raspberries are my fav's)
1x juicy lime and lemon, juiced (mandarin & orange are really nice too)
3/4 - 1 cup filtered water (to your liking regarding thickness)
*for a sweeter version add 1 large frozen banana, roughly chopped

Blend until smooth and frappe style texture.

Please note: You can either make my killer juice as above or make this simple, less mess version using only a blender.
If making the juice, simply add your frozen berries or mango and blend. Add as much frozen fruit as you like to get the frappe texture you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment